Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Killing us softly"





The clip “killing us softly” by Jean Killbourne was amazing and I enjoyed it very much. She is a very powerful speaker and I would recommend everyone out there to watch this, especially the women in our society as they should all be familiar with who she is. It definitely made me think about the advertisement industry and how they portray women to sell their products. She spoke of things that had not crossed my mind and stuck with me ever since then. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that women are used as objects and this problem is definitely not getting any better in our society but WORSE. I think a huge part of a public health professional’s goal should be informing especially the young girls about all these ads that surround them everywhere from TV to magazines to help them realize that there shouldn't be any expectations from them. Our society emphasizes so much about sex, money, and looks that it's so hard not to notice it and turn away from it. Perhaps public health professionals can start with parents and familiarize them with some of the ways to avoid all that are very influential to their kids.

No comments: